Re: A new Discussion Forum

Chris Turner
I have access to a copy of William Matthew's collection,'The Cherub' (in a Nottingham library). On face value it seems much like other collections of hymnody and psalmody from the early 19th century, but what makes it stand out (I hope!) are the 175 names on the subscribers list that reads like a veritable ‘who’s who’ of late-Georgian folk in the East Midlands! I'm interested in how late-Georgian patronage of sacred music was organised.

So far I've researched the following archives:

Nottinghamshire Archives
Derbyshire Archives
British Library

(with planned visits to Bodleian Library and Chatsworth Archives)

I’ve sorted the 175 subscribers into  6 categories that includes:

·         12 Aristocrats/Enobled persons - inluding Duke of Devonshire (Chatsworth House)
·         Industrialists/Bankers/Businessmen e.g. The Smith family of Smiths Bank (big connection to Bromley House!)
          Clerics
·         Musicians/Music sellers/Organists/Choirmasters e.g. The well-known soprano, Eliza Salmon who sang at Covent Garden.
          6  M.P.s and the wives of 3 others (feels like a remarkable number?)
          Local dignitaries/Lord Mayors/High Sheriffs/Magistrates

 (14% of these are Georgian women which I think follows the trend of the time).

What baffles me is how William Matthews, gained access (via Dowager Countess Anne Manvers) to such a tightly connected network of influential people? Names that leapt up from the list include, for instance, ‘R. Arkwright, Cromford’ – Richard Arkwright recorded the richest man in England at the time.

What I’m missing is the inter-connectivity between the Cherub subscribers? – what were they reading? how might The Cherub have been advertised? could it be a social periodical or church magazine? Was there such a thing as Georgian patronage trusts? The list definitely has a ‘seen to be seen’ feel about it – social standing, power and influence (at a time when Nottingham was undergoing one of it’s most turbulent times – the Luddite Rebellion). The price of The Cherub also adds to a sense that this publication was a real statement of exclusivity - £1.00 in c.1820 ? (date of Cherub still to be confirmed but is narrowed down to 1811-1823). Price of £1.00 is the highest for a collection I've seen so far (and I've seen a few by now - bet you have too!).

I’ve spent time researching the publishers – Goulding D’Almaine Potter & Co. and I’m beginning to get a feel about how music was printed and sold at this time. Have had a look at a number of Goulding accumulative catalogues in the BL’s Hirsch collection but no luck in spotting The Cherub.

I've had no luck looking for the Cherub in the Bodleian or the British Library. The British Library only has a copy of the single-sheet reprint of 'Edwinstowe'  dated 'circa 1825 (?) price 'One Penny' (words by the Revd Mr Mason). Will try again later this month!

Hoping to get 'The Cherub' digitised at some point this year. Also copies of Matthews anthems 'Zion', 'Resurrection', and 'Wedding Anthem'.

I would appreciate any advice or information that would further my research (for the Open University).

Thanks,

Chris Turner

Re: A new Discussion Forum

Ros Clements
I have found a few more of Matthews' pieces at the British Library as below, while hunting him down to look up pieces that occur in manuscripts from along the south of England. I think that his publishing longer pieces as separate entities in London helped get them into the hands of churches & chapels in a wide area.

British Library:
A Christmas ode for four voices “At this unwonted hour”
William Matthews  London. [1810?]   folio
G.503.c.(10)
“London. Published by W. Blackman, Music Seller, 15 Union street, Southwark, where may be had other Sacred Works of the same Author”.  Footnote: “Sold by the Author No. 527 Grey hound Street Nottingham”  PICS
& G.800.m.(23.)

Hosannah. A favourite anthem for Christmas [“Hark the glad sound the saviour comes”]… Redeeming Love [“Now begin the heav'nly theme, Sing aloud at Jesu's name”] [Hymn]
William Matthews  [London?] [WM 1819]  folio
G.513.d.(2.)  PICS

[Hymns for four voices] – notitle page
William Matthews
[London], 20 Soho Square: Publ. For the author by Goulding & Co., [1830?]
Contents: Risley. Christmas hymn, "Arise and hail the happy day" -- Sherwood. Christmas hymn, "Sons of men behold from far" -- Alma 8s & 7s, "Lo he comes with clouds descending" -- Shiloh, "Great is the Lord our God" -- Budby, "Holy Lamb, who thee receive" -- Bether, "Come weary souls" -- Adoration, "Come thou fount of ev'ry blessing".
G.517.b.(9.)  PICS

Zion: a favourite anthem for Christmas “How beauteous are their feet”
Printed for & sold by the Author in Nile Street, Portland Buildings, Nottingham. Sold also by Messrs. Button & whitaker, 75, St. Paul's Church Yard, London.  The same Author has also published a sacred song in commemoration of Nelson's Great Victory.  [1817]
H.1677.(41.)

Edwinstow – as mentioned above
G.518.l.(5.)

Re: A new Discussion Forum

Edwin Macadam (wg-admin)
Hi Chris,

This forum is in its infancy, and a number of people have not yet actually registered properly. Thus I cannot send you a message directly (nor, indeed, can the forum). If you do register and leave your email address, I believe you will receive copies of messages on the forum, rather than you having to check back from time to time to see if there are any replies to your original message!

But thanks, Ros, for taking up the challenge! I know it takes a little time to visit suitable sources to be able to reply!

E M

RE: A new Discussion Forum

earwicker

Hi Edwin,

Was this meant for Chris Pullen?

Came to me.

Steve

This forum is in its infancy, and a number of people have not yet actually registered properly. Thus I cannot send you a message directly (nor, indeed, can the forum). If you do register and leave your email address, I believe you will receive copies of messages on the forum, rather than you having to check back from time to time to see if there are any replies to your original message!

But thanks, Ros, for taking up the challenge! I know it takes a little time to visit suitable sources to be able to reply!

E M

http://west-gallery-music-association-discussion-forum.188946.n8.nabble.com/Re-A-new-Discussion-Forum-tp7p11.html

To start a new topic under West Gallery Music Association Discussion Forum, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from West Gallery Music Association Discussion Forum, click here.
NAML

Re: A new Discussion Forum

Edwin Macadam (wg-admin)
Administrator
No Steve, it was in response to a query on the forum, the answer being
copied to all participants. His name is Chris Turner. You get a copy of
this as a member of the discussion group.

Chris's query came in before you joined up, so you will have to go to
the forum to see it

I don't think Chris Pullen has yet registered!

Edwin

On 11/03/2020 15:21, earwicker [via West Gallery Music Association
Discussion Forum] wrote:

> Hi Edwin,
>
> Was this meant for Chris Pullen?
>
> Came to me.
>
> Steve

Edwin - I hadn't looked for quite a while at the site, thinking it might email me to say things had been posted; I realised yesterday that I hadn't registered properly, so went ahead with that, but didn't get my confirmation email for some time! Now I know how it works, and I've noticed the little email alert box at the foot of this page, I should be OK!  Bit different from the last site, but I'll get used to it, no doubt.
Ros